Shortly after I’ve graduated with Mathematics and Electrical (and Computer) Engineering degrees, I realized a few supposedly difficult topics in Hong Kong’s Mathematics and Physics (Electric Circuits) curriculum was taught in unnecessarily painful ways.
Here’s an article I’ve written to show that it is less work to teach secondary (high) school students a few easy-to-learn university math topics first than teaching them dumb and clumsy derivations/approaches to avoid the pre-requisites: HKDSE EE Tips
Here are the outline of the article
- Complex numbers with Euler Formula
- Trigonometric identities can be derived effortlessly using complex number than tricky geometric proofs
- Inverting matrices using Gaussian elimination instead of messing with cofactors and determinants
- Proper concepts of circuit analysis and shortcuts
- Solving AC circuits in a breeze with complex numbers instead of remembering stupid rules like ELI and ICE rules and messy trigonometric identities.
PAUL HO’s unHOLY QUOTATIONs (All in Chinglish/English because SPC is an EMI school)
- Open the door and see the mountain (翻譯: 開門見山)
- There is a Chinese saying … (翻譯: 俗語有話…)
- Don’t put your hands under your desk. People might think you are playing some toys.
- Why you should not put your hands in your pocket?
People might think that you are having a lucky draw.
- Why you should not put your hands under your desk?
People might think that you are playing some toys.
- Detention Club: Lifetime membership
- Fishing Club (上堂釣魚/こっくり)
- Mr. Tso, a poet who can make a poem in seven steps (翻譯: 七步成詩)
- ICAC might stand for “I Can Accept Cash” (When he taught EPA)
- The term “tertiary industry” (三級工業) might have a better Chinese translation…
- ICAC might stand for “Ice-Cream And Coca-cola”
- ICAC might meant “I Can Accept Cheques”
(I overused his “I can accept cash” in his Econ class, so he changed it to checks)
- Good Family Education (有家教)
- If someone is not happy with you, they’ll say hello to your family(問候你全家).
- If you use credit card in King Fu, they might say hello to your family(問候你全家).
- People don’t cry until they see the coffin (翻譯: 唔見棺材, 唔流眼淚)
- Lots of St Pauls boys go to HKU……………………….for lunch
- Kill the monkey to warn the chicken (殺雞警猴)
總而言之，係聖Paul教書都咪話容易，好多時都要睇天份。好似Ms Wai呢啲遲到早退嘅，偏偏係有料之人。佢火爆嘅脾氣反而教曉我有時對人好口啲好多時會幫你逢凶化吉。仲有我F.1俾飛機張教Maths大考38分，F.2俾Ms Wai教Maths大考全級第二，你話呢。
新 世 紀 何 老 主 義 入 門
INTRODUCTION TO HOLOLISM
A NEW PHILOSOPHY FOR A NEW CENTURY
THORIUM HOLMIUM (ThHo) SULPHATE
(B. SC, HKU; CERT ED., HKU)
EDITED BY: SMALL POTATOES (B. PH. SC, HORNS., HK(CEE)= 9U)
||聖保羅冇希望啦! 你睇吓, 人哋寶翠園影名校影英皇, 聖類斯都唔影我哋呀!
||DON’T CRY OVER THE SPILT MILK
||A. MATHS 都係大家係度鬥背數
||YOU WILL HAVE 3 TESTS NEXT MONDAY AND TUESDAY
||PEOPLE USUALLY DO IT LIKE THIS
||數學冇 MARKING 㗎
||攞到 A 都唔恭喜你
||香港水平真係好差! (如果你會考 MATHS 同 A. MATHS 考到 A 返學校剝佢棚牙)